In my position at the World Bank, I lead policy dialogue with tax authorities in several Latin American countries, and have also worked with other government agencies, such as the Ministry of Public Service and the Customs Authority in Tunisia, and the Ministry for Oil and Gas in Yemen. This work has exposed me to a wide array of policy questions in developing countries. I have (co)-authored the following policy documents:
These notes analyze a particular sector (e.g. a country’s tax system), identify bottlenecks and discuss reform options. The World Bank often prepares policy notes for the incoming government after an election.
- Brazil's Tax system: Overview and Policy Options (2018) [lead author]
- Ecuador's Tax System: Overview and Policy Options (2017) [lead author]
Chapters in Public Finance Reviews
These chapters analyze a particular sector in depth. They are often the underpinning for further (more targeted) analytical work, or for the preparation of a lending project.
- Tax Chapter of Costa Rica Public Finance Review (2018) [lead author, pending authorization for publication]
- Tax Chapter of Ecuador Public Expenditure Review (2018) [lead author, to be published in 2019]
- Taxing the Digital Economy: Policy Options (2018) [contributor]
- Economic and Social Inclusion to Prevent Violent Extremism (2016) [co-author]
- Yemen, Unlocking the Potential for Economic Growth (2015) [lead author, chapter on oil and gas sector]
- Chile: Distributional Effects of the 2014 Tax Reform (2015) [contributor]
- Governance of State-Owned Enterprises: Lessons from Egypt, Iraq, Morocco and Tunisia (2015) [contributor, Tunisia case study]
- Performance Contracts in Customs Agencies: Lessons from Cameroon and Togo (2014) [co-author]
Budget Support Loans
I have also contributed to policy-based lending projects (loans that support a specific reform program), for instance in Panama, and am currently leading the preparation of a budget support loan in the Caribbean. This loan would support various fiscal reforms in the areas of public procurement, international taxation, debt management and fiscal rules.